The mission of the Career Empowerment Program (CEP) is to educate and empower students and alumni to effectively manage the lifelong challenges and opportunities associated with career enhancement and change.
Private outplacement firms can charge close to $8,000 for career counseling and generally offer just a few months of support.*
Our innovative CEP offers far more personal and extensive counseling – and it’s all included in your tuition at Empowered UCLA Extension. Working one on one with a dedicated Career Counselor, you’ll focus on all aspects of your career, including locating and securing your next job opportunity.
Our CEP provides:
- Experienced Career Counselors assigned to individual students for 24 months of career support and guidance
- Comprehensive career management program consisting of 15 career planning and development modules delivered via our iPad app
- Extensive collection of career exercises, assessments, tools, videos, and podcasts available 24/7
- Flexible program delivery allows for customization to serve the specific needs of entrepreneurs, career changers, and career enhancers
- Opportunity to engage in 15 plus individual career counseling sessions
- Invitation to 20 plus online webinars covering a wide array of career management topics
- Peer interaction and support to facilitate networking, job referrals, and helpful career advice
The CEP will help you create a specific career plan of action that will help you identify and pursue your career goals. Some of those steps include:
- Creating and managing a social media presence on LinkedIn
- Employing job search strategies that can lead to faster and better job offers
- Comprehensive self-assessment process to bring clarity to career decision-making and employer marketing
- Writing enhanced resume and cover letter products with the goal of landing more interviews
- Increased confidence and skills in negotiating salary
Please note that students only get access to the CEP as long as they are enrolled. Students must successfully complete all courses with an official UCLA Extension certificate to graduate and to be eligible for a second year of career counseling at no additional fee.
|Features & Services||Private Practice Career Counseling||Career Empowerment Program|
|Individual Career Counseling||YES||YES|
|2-year Access to Career Counselor||NO||YES|
|Group Workshops with Peers & Career Changers||NO||YES|
|iPad Interface & Self-Service Resources||NO||YES|
|Comprehensive Career Management Curriculum (15-modules)||NO||YES|
*A survey in June 2009 conducted for The Wall Street Journal by the American Management Association and Institute for Corporate Productivity found the average per-employee cost to outplacement firms to be:
- Executive - $7,518
- Manager - $3,793
- Salaried employee - $2,615
In addition, the same survey found that the length of counseling services for 58% of professionals was 3 months or less and only 1.5% extended longer than 6 months. For executives, only 33% of the services continued for 6-12 months.
At Empowered UCLA Extension, students have access to our career counselors for two full years.
A five stage career management program consisting of fifteen career readiness modules designed to help you imagine, define, and achieve your definition of career success.
Personalization: the inclusion, sequence and length of modules are highly adaptable and dependent upon the career needs of the student. An experienced Career Counselor will facilitate all stages and modules:
Life and Career Narrative
- Module 1: Program Orientation. Complete orientation related to program purpose and specific components.
- Module 2: Narrative Interview. Career and life narrative consisting of full work life and career story.
- Module 3: Personalized Program Plan. Establish expectation, review career needs and define your personalized plan.
Internal and External Assessment
- Module 4: Career Analysis. Assess current and past roles and organizational fit.
- Module 5: Self-Assessment. Values, Interests, Skills, Thinking Preferences, Abilities (VISTA).
- Module 6: Career Research. Gather occupational information related to future choices and options.
- Module 7: Informational Interviewing. Conduct interviews with professionals in a specific career field.
- Module 8: Networking. Build and manage professional connections.
- Module 9: Crafting Experiments. Test new career paths through volunteering, community service, and internships.
Goal Setting and Branding
- Module 10: Establishing Goals. Define a set of specific short and long-term career goals.
- Module 11: Career and Job Search Tools. Manage resumes, cover letters, interviews, and social media.
- Module 12: Personal Branding. Market experience, knowledge and skills to employers and customers.
- Module 13: Career Obstacles. Identify potential career and job search challenges and design solutions.
- Module 14: Advanced Job Search Strategies. Learn strategies for conducting an effective external or internal search.
- Module 15: Job Offers and Salary Negotiation. Manage job offers and negotiate compensation.
Distance counseling via email, phone and face-to-face online meetings, will teach you to articulate the practical value of your UCLA Extension education, leverage your past experiences, and manage relationships with employers. Career counseling offers a unique perspective by providing an impartial, unbiased view of yourself and your career. Counselors will engage you in the following activities:
- Setting new career goals by taking stock of your full professional background, interests and skills
- Marketing yourself effectively to employers by assembling all relevant job search documents into a professional online portfolio
- Competing successfully for new opportunities by developing expert, industry specific interview strategies and behaviors
iPad Career Center
A comprehensive mobile system through our iPad app, complete with a skilled team to guide you through effectively managing your career and shaping it proactively in the face of change and transition. Empowered UCLA Extension will partner with you from the beginning and work towards positive career outcomes based on your personal goals.