Financial Planning: Plan for an Empowered Life!
Personal Financial Planning Certificate
As the largest generation in U.S. history approaches retirement, the need for skilled financial advisors is on the rise (employment growth in the financial planning field is projected as high as 30% through 2018). Graduates of this program will be prepared to:
- Understand the principles and processes of personal financial planning, key financial planning concepts and fundamentals, and legal issues
- Demonstrate an understanding of diverse investment instruments, including government securities, corporate and municipal bonds, equity holdings in stocks, options, mutual and exchange-traded funds, direct and indirect real estate holdings, commodity products, and asset-backed securities
- Apply the techniques of income tax planning, including the timing of income and deductions, conversion of income, stock option planning, charitable planning, like-kind exchanges, planning for the sale or exchange of assets, and retirement planning
- Gain knowledge of the basic rules of the federal income tax system, including calculation of tax, capital gains and losses, alternative minimum tax, and the taxation of business entities, trusts, and estates
- Understand the estate planning process, the practice of estate planning, ownership and transfer of property, taxes, gifts, and all types of estate planning trusts
Download our Personal Financial Planning Career Guide.
This certificate has 7 courses, is 28 units, and takes 12 months to complete.
Students who complete this CFP Board-registered program satisfy the training requirements for the gold-standard Certified Financial Planner® credential, and earn a certificate in Financial Planning from the UCLA Extension.
Take the first step to changing your career! Call 1-800-EMPOWER to talk with a program counselor who is interested in understanding your career goals and aspirations. Or take our Free Career Assessment to help you see what program might be right for you.